Friday, March 7, 2008

Bronze



This is my first project for my sculpture class. For an intro class, I was surprised we started with bronze--but it was really awesome. We did the actual sculpting with wax first, adding air tubes and channels for the bronze to flow through. Then we dipped it in slurry (plaster of some sort) and sand to create a shell... Then melted the wax out of the plaster mold... And then poured the bronze. And then we weren't even done. But it was worth the time in the end. Though I have to say working with molten metal was intense. The teacher was going on about how we shouldn't be surprised if someone got their eyebrows singed off and that sort of thing. I thought he was joking then, but I'm not so sure anymore.

1 comment:

Anthony Holden said...

I hope you still have your eyebrows!